Stair stringer treads: rise and going
Our stair stringers range from 1-17 treads (steps) and are made for standard ‘rise’ and ‘going’ and work on a 1000mm max distance between the centers of the stringers.
The rise is the vertical measurement taken from one step level to the next. Standard rise is 175mm.
The going is the horizontal measurement taken from the front of one step to the next. Standard going is 250mm.
The picture bellow illustrates the rise and going of our stair stringers.
Stair calculator table
To work out the correct size stair stringer, you will need to know your height to deck. This can be found by measuring the vertical distance from the ground level to the height of the deck that you wish to connect.
Note: Also check that there will be enough room horizontally from the face of the deck to where the stringers will be fixed.
Once you have the height to deck measurement you can use the table below to find out which size stringer you need and the cost. The sizes below are for LevelMaster standard stringers with a 175mm Rise and 250mm Going.
|No. of tread pair||Height to deck (mm)||Distance from deck (mm)|
How many steps will I need?
As explained above we have a rise of 175mm and a going of 250mm for all our stair stringers. So to calculate the number of treads (steps) you will need, we simply take the height to deck measurement and then divide this figure by 175 (rise height). We than take that final figure and subtract 1, as this final figure has given the total amount of rises and not total amount of treads; the subtraction is removing the final step up onto the deck, which is included in the overall height and rise count.
A height of 2100 divided by 175 = 12 minus 1 = 11 treads required.
Why LevelMaster stringers?
When you order a LevelMaster Stair Stringer, you’re ordering a proven high quality product built to exceed the Australian Standards. Here are the key reasons why LevelMaster is the first choice by builders, designers and DIY.
- One stringer design – can be either bolt down or concreted in. Simply change the bottom fitting. You simply choose at time of ordering.
- Standards – Complies with National Construction Code Part 3.9.1 and Australian Standard AS1657. Also certified by independent Structural Engineer. Refer to our engineering documents. .
- Height adjustable – up to 40mm of adjustment on each stringer to fine tune your levels prior to installing the treads. No other stringer on the market has this feature. (Patented design)
- Hot Dipped Galvanising – all LevelMaster stringers are finished with a tough galvanised coating to provide added durability even in the harshest of climates
- Range – we range from a single step right up to 17 step
- Availability – the complete LevelMaster range is available in stock so there is no delay in getting your order and delivery under way.
- Treads – We have an in stock range of Merbau, Hardwood, Aluminium and Steel Mesh treads to choose from all at standard 1200mm length. Custom lengths can be arranged (Excluding Steel Mesh treads which are only available at 1200mm)
- Our stair stringers are sold in pairs and half pairs however treads over 1200mm in length require an extra stringer for support. Eg order 1.5 pairs
The certification requirements, for staircase construction and install in class 1 and 10 buildings, comes from the National Construction Code and Australian Standard AS1657.